The e-government initiative is considered one of the key strategic objectives for the federal government of the UAE. The project gains the interest of the UAE state in its all levels.
The procedures of the electronic government were started for a very long time by adopting electronic methods and services that facilitate measures and raise efficiency. Then, that was crystallized by cabinet resolution (1/631/2001; council number 29 on 12.November.2001) by which approval was obtained for implementing the standards of electronic government including electronic collection project (e0dirham) and the project of industrial licensing system and governmental procurement system.
- Adopting standard and unified specifications for data and information among ministries and federal entities.
- Developing and improving efficiency level of federal services.
- Achieving interconnection between all governmental services and procedures in the way that ensures the easiness and flexibility of interaction between ministries and federal entities under supervision of electronic government.
- Reducing the cost of services and procedures development provided to beneficiaries and business sector.
- Developing and simplifying procedures and action steps, thus easing the administrative burden on ministries and federal entities.
- Facilitating and speeding up the procedures of services provided to customers and citizens in order to be able to complete their acts with the related ministry at any time via electronic methods of communication. That, by result, will save the efforts of service delivery.
- Reducing paperwork by using electronic forms and applications.
Project Implementation Plan:
The task of project preparation and processing was assigned to Ministry of Finance and Industry. In its turn, the ministry exerted and employed great efforts in order to assess the readiness of the federal government sectors. As it prepared a comprehensive plan to be implemented later in the cabinet reshuffle which took place in 2006.
Then, responsibility for the follow-up and implementation of e-government was assigned to the Ministry of Governmental Sector Development; which spared no efforts to implement the operational stages of the project, as it was dedicated to providing electronic government services to all governmental sectors as soon as possible.
The innovations and services, which were provided by the Global Information Technology Co LLC, are considered the backbone and the base of implementing the principle of e-government.
The available services provide by e-government form by themselves the basic principles of e-government. The services are summarized as follows:
- Possibility of submitting, updating and following up applications through the internet.
- Adoption of e-payment methods for collections and avoidance of cash transactions in governmental and services fees.
- Through electronic gate, ministries are able to address, deal with public and companies, and inform them of the latest rules and regulations.
- Through electronic gate, ministries will be able to exchange services.
- Electronic deals using modern techniques like remote signature via cards specified for authorized persons or by signing via (Signature Pad), in addition to inquiring and reporting via SMS and IVR.
- Other service will be implemented very soon.
- For more details about activities of UAE e-government, please visit the e-gov website.
Features and services provided by E-gov website for companies:
- Doing the transactions in the company without the need of visiting the ministry or going to a printing office.
- Following up the status of the transaction inside the ministry.
- Providing (PRO System)
- The authorized person can electronically sign all transactions by using his own electronic signature card.
- Reducing the cost by subscribing to (System Membership).
- Electronic Archiving System.
Features and services provided by e-gov website for public:
- Inquiring about transactions.
- Keeping updated with all new laws and provisions issued by ministry.
Extra features of using this system:
- Using the system via internet.
- Applying electronic signature system for all persons who are authorized to sign the transaction.
- Electronic signature and electronic fingerprint system for system users.
- E-dirham system; the electronic payment system, in addition to other e-payment methods.